Mark PD Dow, PhD, HCLD (AAB)
Assisted Reproductive Technology
Dr. Dow received his Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1989, and his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in reproductive physiology at Michigan State University in 2001. Dr. Dow is board certified as a high complexity lab director with specialties in andrology and embryology. He has been helping infertility couples since 1990.
Area of Expertise
As Laboratory Director at the center, Dr. Dow oversees the in vitro fertilization and male infertility laboratories. He conducts a variety of tests and procedures related to male infertility, and performs procedures that assist reproduction for infertile couples. These include:
- In vitro fertilization (IVF), a procedure in which sperm are placed with an egg in a laboratory dish to achieve fertilization. The embryo is then transferred into the uterus in hopes of beginning a pregnancy or frozen for future use.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), which is used to enhance in vitro fertilization by injecting a single sperm into a mature egg. This is used for primarily for male infertility patients. However, men who have had a vasectomy, their sperm can be collected via a needle biopsy for this procedure, eliminating the need for a reserve vasectomy.
- Assisted embryo hatching (AEH), a type of microsurgery that creates an opening in the shell that surrounds the embryo, allowing the embryo to grow. This has been show in to increase the chance for pregnancy in certain women over the age of 40.
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD), a procedure that consists of the biopsy of a single cell per embryo, followed by its genetic diagnosis through different techniques (FISH or PCR), and the subsequent replacement to the patient of those embryos classified by genetic diagnosis as normal.
- Oocyte, embryo and sperm cryopreservation, which allows for indefinite storage of gametes for future use.
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine Reproductive Laboratory Technology Professional Group and Reproductive Biology Professional Groups
- Endocrine Society
- Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology